The most dangerous intersection in the West (left) and the main bike route to the CBD - Shepherd Bridge (right).
BikeWest is a community campaign to build bike paths and make cycling safe in the Western Suburbs. Bike West is coordinated by Greens MP Colleen Hartland.
1. Fix Shepherd Bridge. Status - WIN!
Bike West has been working on this notoriously dangerous bike blackspot for some years. We have campaiged hard and won - funding has been allocated to fix it. The latest here.
'Footscray’s hazardous Shepherd's Bridge to be widened' - The StarWeekly
'Hazardous Shepherd's Bridge at Footscray to be widened' - The Age.
'Footscray's Shepherd Bridge bridge in urgent need of repairs, says report' - The Age.
2. Fix the Parker & Whitehall St intersection, Footscray. Status - WIN!
This is the most dangerous intersection for cyclists in the Western Suburbs. After 3 years of campaigning, on 16 October 2013, funding was announced to fix this intersection with bike lanterns and traffic signals which will give cyclists priority access through the intersection.
3. A Metre Matters bike laws - Status - ongoing. The Greens Bill is in parliament.
4. Upgrade Dynon Road - Hopkins Street Link. Status - ongoing.
5. Complete the Federation Trail. Status - ongoing.
6. Install 40 secure bike cages at priority train stations. Status - election committment.
7. The Westgate Punt Bicycle Ferry. Status - WIN!
Click here to read about the successful community campaign to get the Westgate Punt funded as a seven-day-a-week
Email the Premier, the Minister for Transport and Western Suburbs MPs and tell them to fix Bike West.